What is Augmented Reality?
AR is one of the latest technologies in trending market and it’s only going to increase in popularity as AR-capable smartphones and other devices become more widely available. AR allows us to see the real-world environment right in front of us like trees swaying in the park, dogs chasing balls, children playing soccer with a digital augmentation overlaid on top of it.
Uses of Augmented Reality Technology in the real world
Augmented reality technology is used in gaming apps like Pokémon Go which was popular in 2016 very quickly among the young generation. In this game you need to locate and capture the Pokémon characters that shown in the real world in your living environment.
The following examples denote where augmented reality technology is been used in the mobile and smart games. (This is related to the Pokémon Go)
- Augmented reality is used in enhanced navigation systems to superimpose a path over a live view of the lane.
- Broadcasters use augmented reality (AR) to draw lines on the field during football games to explain and analyze plays.
- IKEA, the Swedish furniture and homewares retailer, has developed an augmented reality (AR) app called IKEA Place that allows you to see how a piece of furniture would look and work in your room.
Why we need this Technology?
AR would become the latest human-machine interface, linking the digital and physical worlds. It enables new information dimensions which data can be easily structured, managed and delivered. AR enables people to process both the physical and digital nature at the same time, removing the need to mentally cross the gap. This enhances our ability to absorb knowledge quickly and correctly, make decisions, and complete tasks quickly and efficiently.
Key capabilities of the AR
The following key capabilities are available in AR technology when using in the real-world environment.
- Instructions and guidance in simulators
- Enhancing human decision making
- Can be combined with another technology like Virtual reality.
AR’s rising success, as well as its potential as a human interface for SCP technologies, poses some new strategic questions. Although the answers will vary depending on the business and circumstances of each company, AR will become an increasingly important part of every company’s strategy.